Contributors

Monday, December 14, 2009

I'm a car "owner" now!

Recently I was finally able to finish paying off my car loan and just yesterday I finally received the title in the mail. Now I can proudly (mostly sarcastically) say that I "own" my car. Or at least I would say that I "own" my car if I actually did, but unfortunately I do not, and neither does anyone else living in this country.

Most people you ask would say I own my car. Even the state of Texas that issued my title would say I "own" my car despite the fact that the state is the true owner of my vehicle. My possession of my car would be much more accurately described as renting or leasing from the state.

If I truly owned my vehicle there would be no way that my car could be taken from me without having my rights violated. In which case I would be able to take legal action and get my car back from the person or persons that stole it from me. This is mostly accurate when it comes to my interaction with other people, except in the case of the state. Every year I have to pay rental/leasing fees in the form of car registration to the state. If I refuse to pay the amount that the state demands my car will be taken from me.

The same goes for anyone that owns a piece of property anywhere in the state. Every year you must pay property taxes to the state, and if you refuse to pay guess what happens to your property.

No one ever claims that they own their apartment. Do you truly own your home or car if you have to pay rent to the state in order to keep it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers