Contributors

Monday, October 25, 2010

warnings and disclaimers

I'm conflicted about something, here, and I need to talk about it before I go on.  On the one hand, I don't want to start off every blog post with warnings and disclaimers (warning: I don't so much care what other people think about me; mandatory disclaimer: no one blog post is a complete thought, because I tend to write about issues that are highly complex, and blog posts are short), but on the other hand, this blog was created with a purpose.  I really want to be able to articulate points on this blog that will help liberals and conservatives see my political perspective.

Right now, with a Democrat as president, I'll appear to most people around me as a conservative (I know, I know, it doesn't help that I live in NYC, either), even though when Bush was president, most people thought I was a liberal.  I'm neither.  I would consider myself to be a voluntaryist.  That means I hate both parties equally, because I don't really see a difference.

Obviously, we can't blame all of societies problems on Bush, Obama, the Democrats, or the Republicans-- even though they have all had something to do with them.

We can only solve the problems by understanding one key thing, then taking action on it.  The world doesn't run on gumdrops and unicorn farts.  Policy doesn't create outcomes by wishing it.  Bad policy is bad policy, no matter what your intentions are.  Want to decrease abortion?  Me too!  We could ban it, because that really worked with heroine, crack, and prostitution, right?  Want to get rid of poverty?  Me too!  Current policy (give money away) is not working.  Let's find something that does.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers